Phil Bennion MEP has organised a trip to the EU Parliament over 8th to 10th October.
The purpose of the trip is to:
- give campaigners and supporters the opportunity to learn how the EU works in order to help when campaigning in a general election or peoples vote, both of which seem closer after this week.
- to get publicity both in the EU and the UK to demonstrate there is plenty of support in the West Midlands for the UK to stay as full members of the EU with the deal we already have.
The itinerary is as follows:
Tuesday 8th October
- Depart Birmingham (and one other collection point to be confirmed) early morning.
- Travel by executive coach with P & O ferry crossing
- Check into 4* President Brussels Hotel
- Evening music concert at Parliament with Green Party group
Wednesday 9th October
- Breakfast at the hotel, then coach to the Parlamentarium
- Chance to join a pro-Remain demonstration (NB: this may take place Thursday)
- Official European Parliament Visit and tour with Phil Bennion MEP
- Evening at leisure in the Grand Place exploring bars and cafes
Thursday 10 th October
Breakfast at the hotel
- Morning at leisure – chance to join a pro-Remain demonstration (NB: this may take place Wednesday morning)
- PM: Depart to Calais for ferry to Dover then back to coach drop off points.
Cost: £200 per person to include coach travel and two nights accommodation (this is based on 50 people and already takes into account the Parliamentary subsidy)
The date we have booked to visit the Parliament is during a mini plenary session, so there will be action to see and Brussels will be busy, which is good for our objectives. The downside is hotels are booked up and expensive.
However, we have managed through a travel company to get a reasonable deal, which when using Phil’s sponsored places has reduced the cost for everyone. We have approached the Greens but they have already used their spaces. The good news though is they are bringing a group of young people on the same date and we should be able to link up with them on the Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning. A concert is organised for Tuesday evening and we are hoping to hold a mini rally in Brussels with members of Pro Europa who are UK citizens in the EU.
If we can reduce the cost further we will but we now need to make payments to secure the hotel. The booking needs to be made through Rondo travel. Please, can you make sure anyone booking also informs me. Ignore the cut off date of 9th September. If anyone is travelling singly but ok with sharing a room I will match them up with a partner of the same gender. So they should not tick the single supplement or pay extra but let me know they are willing to share.
If anyone has any ideas on how we can make a lot of noise / maximise publicity please let me know! If anyone plays an instrument that could be a start.
Contact: Izzy Knowles [email protected]